Sunday, January 10, 2010

Oatmeal Yogurt Parfait...

You have to try this breakfast!  It is not only delicious, and easy, but it will satisfy you for hours!   I eat it in the morning, and have to pay attention so that I don't forget to go to lunch at 12:30. And let me tell you , I am the biggest snacker ever, so that's saying something! 

I adapted my "recipe" from here{well, I probably got it from an earlier post actually, but I'm not exactly sure which one.  I know I've been in love for a while!} If you haven't checked out Iowa Girl Eats yet...you must!  Kristin is not only darling, she gives great advice on healthy eating and exercise.  She has been a major source of inspiration for me over the last 6 months or so.  You can find out more about her philosophy here.

I was a little skeptical at first because I've had some cold yogurt/oatmeal things before and wasn't impressed.  Seriously, this is the most delicious breakfast ever!  It is completely versatile too!  You can put whatever you like on it!

Combine:
  • 1-8 oz. cup of yogurt (any flavor you want)
  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
Kristin suggests letting these first two ingredients meld in the fridge overnight.  I do this when I remember, but I've found it to be just as delicious when you mix right before eating!
  • top with fruit of your choice, nuts, granola, etc.

My current favorite is:
  • 8 oz. vanilla yogurt  (I buy the large container and use an old 8 oz yogurt cup as a measuring cup)
  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 banana sliced
  • 1/2 apple chopped
  • sprinkling of pomgranate seeds

I feel like the 1/2 banana is essential to the texture somehow, but maybe not! 

Other topping options that would be delicious: 
  • berries
  • mandarin oranges
  • dried cranberries
  • raisins
  • almond slices
  • granola
The possibilities are endless.  Let me know if you come up with any delicious combinations!  I'm sure I'll have to switch it up at some point! 

2 comments:

  1. going to the store tomorrow...getting ingredients...can't wait to try it, jen! sounds soooooooooo yummy!
    xoxo,
    a

    ReplyDelete
  2. just as yummy as you said it was! thanks for for a great way to start my day..now have to add some cardio to that and we'll b doing good!
    xoxo,
    a

    ReplyDelete